The best way for conversion tracking?

What we need is pretty simple, the solution not so apparent though.

1. Email is sent
  2. User visits product page
  3. User makes purchase
  4. I can visually see somewhere that we have X% conversion rate (ie of every email we send 10% will buy. 40% of all opens turn into a purchase)

My plan of attack since I dont see an easier way to do this (im a developer)

1. When an email is clicked or opened we send those events to Google Analytics
  2. When a purchase is made, I have our Node API hit Google Analytics with the email address of the purchaser
  3. Somehow I connect these events in Google Analytics

Is there a better way? Or a guide somewhere?

Mark

hey @devslopes,

This is a solid approach. I would avoid using GA if you want to include email addresses though, since this will violate their terms of service as it relates to PII.

You might be over-complicating things though. Unless you want to track email opens, all you need to do is turn on Google Analytics tracking in ActiveCampaign Campaign Settings page (the last page when you create a campaign).

This will automatically add the correct utm_ parameters to the emails consistently.

Then just make sure you have Google Analytics enhanced ecommerce turned on.

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1009612?hl=en

You will then be able to see how many people came from your campaigns to make a purchase.

1 Like

If you want to include details like opened an email, or any other type of “offline” activity, here is a guest post I did for BigPicture.io