Segmenting New from Old Subscribers for Content Upgrades

I’m stuck on this one (and so are the guys at support). Here is my situation: I have content upgrades and free worksheets for people to download.

What I want to do is segment new subscribers from old ones. I have been doing this with tags, so it looks something like this:

1. The automation starts when someone opts-in for the upgrade (they are added to the list if they are new)
  2. I send them the free download
  3. If a prior tag is present, the automation ends (old subscriber)
  4. If a prior tag isn’t present, they are added to a welcome series of emails (new subscriber)

The only way (I can see) to add these prior tags is by adding each one manually.

The problem? Every time I add a new content upgrade (and new tag), I have to go back to the other automations to add this new tag to the automation split.

Any ideas of a better way to do this?

1 Like

Hi @jdaindustries,
I can see why support was stumped on this one. Here’s one solution that might work:

Build one automation that simply checks for tags. Eg. They enter the automation by filling in a form/subscribing. You can have a series of if/then statements that check for any previous tags. If any of the conditions are true, then you add a tag to them ‘prior.’ As soon as this tag is added it can trigger off your content upgrade automation & at the end of that automation all you have to check for is one ‘prior’ tag. This means you are only ever adding to that first automation the extra Content Upgrade Tags.

Actually, on second thoughts… In your Welcome Series Automation can you add a step that adds a tag to the contact to indicate that they have been through the welcome series? Then when building your content upgrade automations you just check to see if they have that tag - if they do you add them to the welcome series automation, but if they don’t, they just end the automation as usual??

Ev

1 Like

You can also you the if/then statement to check if someone has been through or is in an automation (thus eliminating the need for another tag).

1 Like

I think we’re on the same page. I did this:

• Gave all my existing contacts the tag ‘tflist’
  • Changed my automations to segment based on whether they have this tag
  • If they are new, they get the welcome email AND I tag them before ending the automation
  • If they are not new, the automation ends and they don’t get the welcome email

I can’t see any problems with this right now. I’ll test it a little and see if it works.

1 Like