Multiple list adjustments in a single API call

The examples given in the document for Update list status for a contact provide great learning points.

But to go beyond that current source, is there a way we can modify the body of that POST request to update multiple lists at once? If so what would the JSON syntax look like?

Many thanks for the learning point!

@nationalffaorganiza1 Thanks for reaching out! The most effective way to update several list subscriptions at once (for up to 250 contacts at a time) is likely our Bulk Import call - it will allow you to update several list subscriptions at once, and an example call you can refer to! :slight_smile:

As an alternative, Iā€™ve also seen customers use the Contact Sync endpoint to update custom fields, triggering automations to update subscriptions as needed. I personally like this option, as it allows the system to follow natural opt-outs more easily.

1 Like

Thank you for these learning points!

In regard to using Contact Sync, can updating the fieldValues for the given contact, either add or remove that contact from any associated list(s)? If so, what would be an example?

It looks like the Bulk Imports is a gem for dealing with multiple contacts (more than 10??). But I want to do what itā€™s doing, but for one contact at a timeā€¦

Great question! As an example, I might have a custom contact field with a multi select option for each of my marketing communications. I would sync over the selections for my contact. An automation with the trigger ā€œfield changesā€ would be set to go off any time that field changes or updates. I could then use a series of if/else steps to check for each selected option and subscribe/unsubscribe them as needed with those steps. Just make sure to use the if/else for ā€˜containsā€™ an option if you do use a multiselect field - using ā€œisā€ alone will skip any contacts who have selected more than one subscription option.

I think if you want a little more control/want to limit your updates to a single contact at a time, the contact sync call would be my personal pick, using that process I suggested above. You can run a bulk import call for a single contact as well, if youā€™d like to do it as a test! :slight_smile:

It sounds like you do a lot of API testing, so just in case youā€™re not aware - you can request a free sandbox through this form so you have another place/way to test without impacting your actual contacts and real data! :slight_smile:

@alibby thank you so much! Could you do a quick video to capture most of what you are saying so I get a visual of what the setup looks like?

Absolutely! Here is an example set up field/automation from my account you can take a closer look at: Zight Recording 2024-07-26 ...

1 Like