Download link + site tracking

Hello,

I’m using auto responders currently that serve up a download link on Amazon S3 via email. I want to make sure that people who optin go back to the site so that they start being tracked, I suppose the only way to do that would be to send them BACK to the site, correct? Would it be a good ‘best practice’ to send them to a landing page with the download link on it so it begins tracking?

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @robertg,
A way around this could be after they opt in to send them to a Thankyou page (which would start their tracking)’ and on that tracking page have a link to the S3 download. Would that solve the problem? Rather than trying to get them back after they have downloaded?

Evielyn

Hi Evielyn,

Thank you for your reply. That is kind of what I’m thinking. I may have to do this in order to initiate the tracking. It’s an extra step but hopefully no one will care.

On another note, do you happen to know if tracking beings on one sub domain if it will then track them if they visit other areas of my site? For example I have a blog.site.com, store.site.com, events.site.com and I send them to the thank you page on my blog and they later visit one of the other sites if it will show under site tracking.

Thans!

That is a good question @robertg. I’m not too sure, but suspect if they are sub domains it may not transfer to each. @Ted might be better placed to answer that for you.

Thanks for the tag @mavndigital!

@robertg, the scenario that Evielyn outlined here: [quote=“mavndigital, post:2, topic:1043”]
A way around this could be after they opt in to send them to a Thankyou page (which would start their tracking)’ and on that tracking page have a link to the S3 download. Would that solve the problem? Rather than trying to get them back after they have downloaded?
[/quote]

is the best course of action, and I also wanted to confirm that as long as your site tracking snippet is present on all subdomains that a visitor can navigate to, then site tracking will be populated.

Awesome thanks guys! I think i’m still having some trouble initiating the tracking however, as per my other thread ;\

Are you dumping the autoresponder altogether? So, as @mavndigital suggested, it goes to opt-in -> thank you?

I wasn’t going to dump the auto responder because I want the emails to be verified. If i just forward to a thank you page people can put in fake emails, so the idea is that it will trigger the auto responder which will then bring them BACK to the site to initiate the download and hopefully that way make the association, although I don’t think that it’s working. My initial problem is that with these 3rd party optin forms, they don’t pass the email address to the tracking variable. Through some hackery it can be done but the appeal of these integrations (optinmonster for example) is the ease of use and quick turnaround to create opt-ins, that all because pointless if you have to create all sorts of custom functionality then.

Makes sense. Maybe then when the click the link in the email to verify, it’s two fold - one, it says thanks for verification and then a 10 second delay later “your download should begin shortly, but click here if it doesn’t”.

Either you can create a real delayed download, or you can trick them to actually end up clicking for the download to begin?