Different devices, how does AC identify the subscriber for GOALS?

Hi,
So here’s the scene…

Day 1 - Visitor subscribes, visits blog post 1 from his MOBILE. AC cookie set.

Day 2 - Opens my email on his desktop, opens a link that goes to blog post 2 on his desktop, AC cookie set on desktop.

Now…

Q1 - If I have a goal “has visited url”, how will AC know WHO the subscriber is when he visits from his desktop? There’s no previous cookie to identify.

AC only know that they visited blog post 1 from the mobile.

Q2 - If that ^ IS in fact a loophole, is there any way I can ‘tell’ AC who the visitor is by, I don’t know, embedding his email in the url (dynamically in the email link) or something like that? What ways are there?

Q3 - Am I going crazy? :smiley:

1 Like

As long as they’ve been identified on both devices, their activity on both devices will be merged into one contact record.

Q1: AC will know that the contact visited blog post 2 on his desktop because he clicked the link in the campaign. The cookieing and ID’ing happens when the contact clicks the campaign link. Also, AC is tracking all activity even before they’re identified, so if they visited blog post 2 at any point, when they’re ID’d, that page visit data will be attached to the contact.

Let me know if I’m misunderstanding the scenario/question.

Just to add to your reply…

The campaign link in emails doesn’t appear to route/redirect through AC, it’s a direct link.

How does AC’s code know from ‘where’ the contact has arrived if it’s just a simple link? Especially if the contact opens the AC email and then clicks the link from a new device which is technically the ‘first time’ the AC code is seeing him…?

==> In short, what I am asking is what happens to goals when the contact opens two emails from two new devices leading to post1.html and post2.html, and a GOAL is dependent on both urls (has_visited_url) being visited.

==> And also, do clarify the campaign links part because the links in the email I send appear to be direct links, not redirections.

Even though it appears to be a direct link, we’re actually routing it through us before redirecting them to the link so that we can tie the browser to the email address the campaign was sent to.

If the contact is getting to those posts through a campaign, they will be ID’d and even though they’re on two different devices, AC will attach the history from both devices to one contact record (email address) and they’ll meet both conditions for the goal, regardless of whether they’re on two different devices.

Got it!

Test mails apparently don’t redirect through AC I guess, actual ones do! :slight_smile:

Problem solved.