Custom unsubscribe still triggers unsubscribe in Active Campaign

We made our own unsubscribe page before the bot prevention 2-click system was in place. But there is what I feel a bug in the system.

Even though we use our own system for tracking unsubscribes with our own page Active Campaign still marks contacts as unsubscribe as soon as a user clicks a link to view the unsubscribe page. If the user changes his mind and doesn’t actually go through with unsubscribe AC still has marked the Contact as unsubscribed.

I can’t imagine that the system is supposed to work like that? Why would there than be any point in having a custom unsubscribe page?

Hey, please email us at help@activecampaign.com so we can further investigate. Thank you :slight_smile:

I’ve tried emailng you since may and got exactly ZERO response. But I’ve sent another email now…

Why can’t you just investigate it now?

Hey @combientab
I think ActiveCampaign made it so that the unsubscribe link always unsubscribes, so that people wouldn’t abuse it for deliverability reasons (e.g. if your custom unsubscribe page didn’t actually process unsubscribes).
In the case of one of my clients, we made a custom unsubscribe page and added a “Resubscribe” option, so that if people made a mistake, they could Resubscribe there and then. That, or an “unsubscribe reasons” form that you have more control over, are two ideas for why you might want a custom unsubscribe page.
Though I guess now I’m not sure if it’s worth it compared to the new bot prevention 2-click system? Or maybe they both work.

Hi! I need personal details from you which I wish for you not to share on a public formal. Please let me know the ticket number, and I can follow up internally! Thank you :slight_smile:

So our problems began with bot clicks in emails unsubscribing people without them wanting to. And a resubscribe button doesn’t help, bots don’t click it…

Apparently the custom unsubscribe page is just for displaying a custom message and not managing the actual unsubscribe since this gets triggered anyways. When I first asked about this it was not communicated to me that this is how it was supposed to work. But this is the answer I finaly recevied from AC.

So I guess we now have to look into the new feature active campaign release called bot prevention. But then I guess you can’t customize that. But lets see.