Site tracking and GDPR compliance

Hi,

I have set up site tracking on my website. I am confused as to how to connect ActiveCampaign to my GDPR consent cookie.

I’ve read the documentation and chatted with the help desk but don’t seem to be able to get a resolution on how to do this. It’s my understanding that you have to include a JavaScript snippet into your GDPR consent cookie. So, when the visitor agrees to the use of cookies then ActiveCampaign begins to track where they are on the site.

This seems awfully complicated to me so I am wondering if I am missing something here.

I live in the UK so I must follow GDPR rules… ActiveCampaign needs permission before it starts to track visitors on my site… yet there isn’t an integration or update to the ActiveCampaign plugin that makes this plug and play?

Thanks,

Graeme

Hi @empowermind18905, welcome to our Community Forum! I’ve pinged our teams for an answer and hope to have something for you shortly. Thank you for your patience :slight_smile:

Hi @empowermind18905, following up here!

You can update your site tracking to follow GDPR consent by following the steps in this article: Site tracking and the GDPR – ActiveCampaign Help Center

Essentially, you’ll need to do the following:

-Update the “Track by Default” setting in the site tracking code.
The “Track by Default” setting on our site tracking code automatically tracks page visits. Once you replace the site tracking code on your website, you will need to update that default setting. This update is done in the site tracking code that is pasted on your site.
You can change this:

vgo('setTrackByDefault',true);

To this:
vgo('setTrackByDefault',false);

-Create a “Tracking Consent” notice.
The purpose of this notice is to explicitly ask contacts for their permission to be tracked and notify them what, specifically, they are consenting to. This notice can be in the form of a banner or a pop up box. The notice must state what information is being collected, how it will be used, and let individuals know that they can withdraw their consent at any time. In addition, the notice must use clear and plain language and contain some method for individuals to indicate their affirmative agreement, such as a button that they must click in order to give their consent.

-Add a snippet of code to your “Yes/Agree” button on the “Tracking Consent” notice.
If a contact has allowed site tracking, you will need to call the Javascript function
vgo('process', 'allowTracking') .
In order to allow tracking for future visits, when cookies are accepted by the contact, you might set a temporary cookie (for example, for 30 days). Then on each page load, check for the temporary cookie you have set and run vgo('process', 'allowTracking').

1 Like

Example:
// Insert tracking snippet here
if (document.cookie.indexOf(‘accept_cookies’) !== -1) {
vgo(‘process’, ‘allowTracking’);
}
$(’.btn’).on(‘click’, function() {
var expiration = new Date(new Date().getTime() + 1000 * 60 * 60 * 24 * 30);
vgo(‘process’, ‘allowTracking’);
document.cookie = ‘accept_cookies=1; expires=’ + expiration + ‘; path=/’;
});

1 Like