Day 5 | Elevate with Conditional Content

Personalization is key to successful email marketing. :key:

Show your subscribers that you understand and value their preferences by tailoring your emails based on their individual subscriber data with ActiveCampaign’s Conditional Content feature.

Whether you’re targeting by location, purchase history, or preferences, Conditional Content ensures each subscriber receives the message that speaks directly to them.

Create more relevant, engaging, and effective communications with your audience by following the steps in today’s “Task of the Day” below!

Day 5 - Task of the Day:

1. From your dashboard, navigate to the Campaigns tab.
  2. Select “Create a new campaign” or go into an existing campaign.
  3. Select “Edit design” to go into the email designer.
  4. Hover over the content block that you want to personalize with Conditional Content (For example, a section that relates to location, purchase history, or preferences).
  5. Select the three dots next to that block and select the “Display conditions” option.
  6. You can choose what kind of conditions you want to set for this copy from the drop down list. (For example, you can choose to send this email content block to those who have an existing tag that shows interest in your newsletter content.)
  7. Select when to show this content, if all or any of the conditions are met.
  8. Create another content block that will display if you have a different condition set. (For example: If someone is interested in your “New Products” content, you can choose to show them a content block with the new arrivals showcased. Under the conditions, you can choose to send if they have that existing tag.)
  9. Once you save each block, preview and test correctly for each segment.
  10. Click “Next” to set up the send, or “Save and exit” to set up the send later.

Let us know if this is your first time using the Conditional Content feature!

Here is a specific way you can use conditional content:

Add a special message for new newsletter subscribers only

How you do it:

• Add a section to your newsletter (the next one and all future) that is conditional content and only shows if tag “subscriber-new” exists.
  • Update list settings so that new subscribers get a copy of the most recent email;
  • Build automation that is triggered by new subscribers to your list;
    • add a tag for new subscribers - example “subscriber-new”;
    • put a wait step in to allow for enough time for the most recent email to be sent (with your conditional content)
    • remove the tag “subscriber-new”
1 Like

Thanks for sharing this use case! :raised_hands:

How do you test the conditional content? I did the normal testing by sending myself a test email. That email looked fine, but that was because the test included all the conditional content. I had made a formatting error in the conditional content that I wasn’t able to check. I only noticed it after I sent the email to several hundred people.

I would recommend creating test contacts with different attributes to ensure that the conditional content is working as intended. Send test emails to yourself or team members with the different segments to see the conditional content in action.

1 Like

So will the conditional content work in a test if the test emails have the appropriate tags, or do I need to run the automation/campaign?
This is problematic with campaigns, as I’ll then have to duplicate the email to send it to the actual list.

To thoroughly test conditional content, it’s often best to run the automation or campaign with your test contacts first. It’ll provides a more accurate test, showing how the conditional content performs with real scenarios and data.

Thank you for the help on this!

1 Like