ActiveCampaign Forum

How to use the Site Messages BETA

Site Messages are available within automations as a new sending action.

Once you select “Send a site message”, you have the option to create a new Site Message or select an existing Site Message from that automation. Currently, Site Messages can only be used as a sending action within the automation they were created in.

Whether you create a new Site Message or edit an existing one, you’ll be brought to the Site Message editor.

In the Site Message editor, you can edit the initial message that contacts will see and the detailed message contacts will see after they click through the initial message.

There is also an additional trigger available for automations called “Reads a site message”. This trigger occurs when a contact reads a specific Site Message.

If you have any questions about how to use Site Messages, please post in our Early Access forum. Thanks!

Hi, very excited about this new feature and gave it a try. Created an automation that fires when I visit my homepage and a step that shows the site message.
Nothing is displayed on my homepage, although the automation shows it did fire and the site message was sent.
Did I overlook something? Tested it both in Chrome and Safari.

Cheers
Kristoff

Kristoff,

Do you have site tracking installed on your homepage? Site Messages will only appear on pages that site tracking is installed on.

Hi Tim,
Yes I do. I guess otherwise I wouldn’t see myself move through the automation, no?

Whoops! You’re right. I misread that part.

This sounds like a good old fashioned bug. I’ll file a ticket for this and follow up with you via email when things are fixed.

Well, I don’t rule out the possibility it is something on my side or site, but I have no clue where to look. Thanks for looking into it!

Hey. Just got this beta feature-really excited- looks great! Don’t know if I’m missing something, but the add emoji function in the message doesn’t seem to do anything? Clicking on the small icons below the emoji tab doesn’t add anything to the message?

@businesshub11 - Sounds like you’re doing everything right and there might be a bug here. If I can gather a few details from you, I can have our team look into what’s up.

What browser are you using?
Mac or Windows? What version?
Can you take a screenshot or better yet, a video?

Thanks!

sure thing-will email to you. Thanks :slight_smile:

Any plans to let users reply to these messages and allow us to insert video code?

@bizlaunchequity - I could see more interactivity (like replying) happening down the road. Video code is an interesting idea too along those same lines. No immediate plans for either of these but I’ve added both these to our internal site messages ideas board. Thanks!

Thanks. Just some context would love these so i can use these messages directly inside our online web app to onboard users: welcome, upsell, how to use a feature, etc.

Is there an example of site messages some where? Is this like a pop up or push notification type message?

Just got this enabled and was pretty excited.

I’ve played around with creating a message in an automation but that’s as far as I got.

I love the Emoji’s :slight_smile: hope they make it into things like the email builder too.

I think some sort of internal notice when you create a Site Message in an Automation to educate users to know they need to put site tracking to make this work would be a good idea.

Also is there plans or ways to make this message only appear on a specific page(s), domain(s)?

like bizlaunchequity I can see this being used in onboarding users in a webapp, or a membership site quite nicely but I’d want to be able to control it on a per page basis.

eg. User on homepage and hasn’t seen the message yet “Welcome Message with Quick Start Video” user on homepage but already seen the welcome message show “Welcome Back with quick links to common areas”

They go to a settings page they’ve never been to, show a message with a video on how to use this page.

and finally… while it’s cool and an awesome step in the right direction it feels quite limited in practical use right now.

especially since it looks like all the other chat apps, I feel users who get this message would expect that they can then reply and actually chat with us or do more than just click a button to go somewhere.

Also if we are using a chat app on our site, the location and look of this is going to conflict and clash with that.

Unless you guys roll out chat or allow a chat app to integrate into the site message tool so it feels seemless to a user and a button in the message can be “Start Chat” I’m concerned it would create confusions.

I’d love to better understand the use cases that brought about the development of this and how you see it working in with those using intercom.io or another live chat apps that sits in the bottom right corner of a page and look similar?

As well as hearing what improvements you guys already have in the pipeline for it in the immediate term?

Appreciate the feedback Carl! Going to answer these one by one.

I think some sort of internal notice when you create a Site Message in an Automation to educate users to know they need to put site tracking to make this work would be a good idea

This is a great idea. Long term, I’d like to move Site Messages themselves outside automations and make them more of a global channel that isn’t tied to a specific automation. Either way, I think explaining the site tracking part of the setup is a good idea.

Also is there plans or ways to make this message only appear on a specific page(s), domain(s)?

This has been requested quite a bit. We’re thinking about the best way to implement something like this sooner than later.

especially since it looks like all the other chat apps, I feel users who get this message would expect that they can then reply and actually chat with us or do more than just click a button to go somewhere.

Also if we are using a chat app on our site, the location and look of this is going to conflict and clash with that.

Unless you guys roll out chat or allow a chat app to integrate into the site message tool so it feels seemless to a user and a button in the message can be “Start Chat” I’m concerned it would create confusions.

Chat is something we’ve thought about this potentially evolving into. As for the position of the icon clashing, would it be helpful if you could configure where on the bottom of the page that icon appeared?

As well as hearing what improvements you guys already have in the pipeline for it in the immediate term?

Settings to specify what pages a Site Message will appear on our high on our list, as this has been a popular request. Also exploring the possibility of showing all queued Site Messages at once, rather than showing the first, waiting for the customer to close it, then showing the next, etc.

Thanks for the reply and breakdown.

As for the position of the icon clashing, would it be helpful if you could configure where on the bottom of the page that icon appeared?

That would help. Any particular reason to lock us to just the bottom of the page? Why not allow us to choose between.

Top Left
Top Middle
Top Right
Middle Left
Bottom Left
Bottom Middle
Bottom Right
Middle Right
and Center screen

This combined with a couple of designs that don’t look like other chat apps to it makes sense to put it in other locations on the screen (more like a notification) would mean it could be used on pages in combination with an existing chat app like Intercom, Smooch or Drift.

@carltaylor - I like the idea of being able to move the icon around so that it doesn’t always look like a chat app icon (could also be on the right middle side of the page like feedback apps often have). Great suggestions here! I’ve added this to our internal ideas board.

Hi @tjahn,

I used site messaging on a site, but after removing the site message from my automations it keeps showing up. I cleared the cache multiple times.

Cheers, Nico

@campagne - I’m sorry to hear that! Can you send me a link to the automation and contact? tjahn at activecampaign dot com

Thanks!