ActiveCampaign Forum

How to track AdWords traffic to specific customers?

I don’t see a Google AdWords integration so I’m assuming there’s got to be another way. Also I see that Active Campaign doesn’t automatically track traffic source like some other platforms.

How would I track leads from Google AdWords and tag them in AC?

This would be extremely helpful as I need to show the client how my marketing efforts are resulting in incremental leads (aren’t we all?!)

Here are my ideas so far, want to see if there are better ways out there:

• Add tracking tags to the URL for sources from AdWords and somehow tie that in to the lead with a hidden form field (not sure how to do?)
  • Create specific landing pages just for AdWords leads to track them separately (a best practice anyways).

Let me know which would work or if there’s some other crafty way I’m missing.

Thanks!

@Joe If you happen to be using WordPress as your CMS and Gravity Forms to handle the form submissions, check this out. I built and open sourced this Gravity Forms add-on for this exact purpose.

You can use UTM parameters (which are a standard way of tagging lead sources) and that plugin will do two things:

1. It will cookie those params (and any other variables sent via the querystring that you specify in the plugin) and pass those through as hidden form fields
  2. It will also implement Site Tracking if you give it your AC account ID

Note: this solution will work for Adwords but isn’t specific to Adwords. You can use it across all leadsources you control to run a true return on adspend (ROAS) analysis across all the advertising you’re doing.

You can store those UTM params passed via hidden fields in AC as custom fields or make them dynamically named tags if you’re using Zapier as the glue to get the form sub into AC. Just name the tag (UTM)(Source)(#paramvalue#)

AC unfortunately has this issue which currently precludes you from being able to do filtering based on empty fields and therefore do any useful analysis of leads within AC based on UTM params. The workaround I’ve come up with (which is admittedly less than ideal) is to have a parallel Zap on all my leadforms simultaneously write the lead as a new row to a Google Spreadsheet. I then have a another sheet in that doc that filters only those records with UTM params so I can run analysis there.

good luck

@grid7 Wow that’s awesome that you created that a Add-on. I do use Gravity Forms for some of my forms, so will have to test that out and see how it works out.

Seems like a good solution all around, although with lots of pieces.

Thanks!

@Joe yes, there are really 2 ways to come at this challenge of tracking lead sources and I recommend pursuing both in parallel because they yield different insights:

1. cookie-ing and storing the UTM params with the contact record so you can analyze where the leads you have came from (what the plugin I shared above does for you)

2. using a tool like Google Analytics (or preferably something like Mixpanel or KissMetrics) to log events for site visitors and be able to run aggregate analysis on how people are moving through your funnel

The first answers the question “how did this guy/gal originate?” at the level of the individual contact.
The second lets you slice & dice data in aggregate on visitors regardless of if they signed up or not. It lets you ask questions of the data and find answers as well as conduct “fishing expeditions” where you’re just noticing aberrations and patterns that you hadn’t set out to find.

Mixpanel is REALLY powerful in this regard. You can log any kind of custom property you want for the user (basically think “anything that’s a tag in AC should be a Mixpanel property as well”). MP tracks all their history before you even have their contact info and then marries it up after the fact so you can see all the history prior to having the lead. It lets you run cohort and funnel analysis and they have a whole section called People where you can test theories after the fact (you’re basically logging every event and unlike how GA forces you to define the funnel ahead of time, you can test a theory you didn’t have initially - the data is all there).

Anyways, I recommend running this plugin in conjunction with Mixpanel. Create a free Segment.com account and a free Mixpanel account. Install the Analytics WP plugin, wire it up to your Segment acct, add Mixpanel project as integration in Segment then start to tinker in Mixpanel reports. Even if you don’t perform any analysis today, start tracking stuff now so you’ll have the event logging for later. You will be glad you did. good luck

Thanks for your contribution here @Joe!
Any idea why AC might have skipped on this very important tracking technique?

@Joe You can try www.myconversionbrain.com It integrates Google adwords api automatically for you so you can then see which leads came from which keyword, adgroup, campaign, any display/re-marketing campaign. It tracks all the source traffic so not only google adwords and also immediately notifies you once your leads come back to your site.

Hi Sean,

That’s a great solution and one I’ve been trying to get worked out with Formidable forms and Segment.com.

I’m wondering if you could help me (paid of course) work on something to achieve this. I’m using Formidable -> Zapier -> AC too.

@mattermarketing that code for my plugin is open source on Github. I’m actually not the developer who wrote it - i contracted a guy from Upwork.com to write the plugin based on what I wanted. You could do the same and just hire someone to port that code to perform the same function for Formidable.

I’m unfortunately not in a position to take on any consulting right now as I’m full-time for Pagely and run ACmastery.com in the offhours as my side-work. best of luck

@grid7 Thanks so much for sharing that plugin on Github. It’s really going to help us out for our attribution. I know you don’t support it, but I’m hoping you can answer a quick question. I am able to move all the info over to AC from my UTM params no problem, but can’t seem to figure out how the HTTP_REFERER field should populated on AC. The screencast didn’t show anything special, and I get the field filled in Gravity Forms – just can’t seem to make the leap to AC. Any ideas? Many Thanks in Advance!

Hey @grid7, mind sharing your Upwork guy? :slight_smile:

@homehubzone thanks. Glad you’ve found it useful. For the 2 implicitly-collected fields on the new version (HTTP_REFERRER and REQUEST_URI): I use Zapier to pass the values into AC. They should be available to you in the same Zap that’s passing the UTM fields to AC and you just map them to their respective fields. If you’re using some other method to push these into AZ I don’t know the approach but that’s how I did it.

@mham no problem this is him-> https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~0119db2820fa7c8bb5
Great guy. His English isn’t so good but he does great for and very reasonably priced. tell him I said wassup

Thanks a ton @grid7!