Site tracking code through Google Tag Manager

brundevian-tiran
edited January 2017 in Integrations

Hi everyone,

did anybody setup the site tracking code through Google Tag Manager instead of pasting it in the website code ?

If yes and you have a methodology for that, that would be great.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• nick
    edited January 2017

I have it running with GTM, no issues. Simply copied the AC tracking code into a Custom HTML tag and that’s it.

• ihouse
    edited January 2017

Hey,

I just added AC code through GTM, and it works but with an issue. All activities are double-tracked, but tag is fired only one time per pageview. I have no idea why…

I modified standard code, for email tracking, but i don’t think that’s causing this problem:

Second line of my code looks like that:

var trackcmp_email = window.loggedInUser.email || '';

edit:

i just found out, that problem occurs on Chrome, but on Firefox everything works properly. So, there is still an issue, but i geuss it’s caused by browser

• labombilla
    edited August 2019

Hi,

I just tried out to implement Site Tracking trhough GTM by copying the AC tracking code into a custom HTML tag, as Nick mentionned. But it does not work properly.

I can’t find any information about it, and ActiveCampaign support has not been able to tell me how to setup ActiveCampaign website tracking with GTM.

Do anyone knows how to do it?

Thanks!

• socialwolfmedia
    edited August 2019

Under Tag configuration in GTM there is a dropdown that lets you choose the firing options. Once per page, once per event, unlimited. Do you know which one you have chosen?

• Stephen_Moderator
    Stephen_Moderator Community Manager
    edited October 2019

I just wanted to jump in here. We get a lot of visits to this thread and a lot of people find the information above very helpful, which it is! (if you did too, please like the post so others can find it easier on the forum :+1:" alt=":+1:" />)

Technically, this is a Google feature, so we don’t have any official documentation on our end.

However, what you can do is you paste your tracking code into a custom HTML tag for the Google Tag Manager. Make sure to hit the “publish” option so that it is enabled.

Here is a guide that Google offers on how to Setup Up and Install the Tag Manager and add a code snip-it which should help: https://support.google.com/tagmanager/answer/6103696

More on how site-tracking works on our end and how to grab your unique tracking code in your account: https://help.activecampaign.com/hc/en-us/articles/221542267-An-overview-of-Site-Tracking

Other things to note, in general, to trigger site tracking a contact must:

Submit an ActiveCampaign form

Click on a tracked link in an email

If you continue to have issues, you’ll need to reach out to our Support Team so they can take a closer look as it’s likely an account-specific problem.

Thanks to OPs here for offering such a sought after discussion and answer here!

• TimSchuster
    edited February 21

Hey all, my first forum question here! I’m working on an Active Campaign landing page. I’m trying to fire a Google Tag and direct the user to an URL. The page builder allows for custom code on the button click, but we keep getting a dead link. Any ideas?